Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Club Newsletters

CHAIRMANS CHRISTMAS MESSAGE  2023

I have tried throughout the year to keep everyone informed of the current situation in the club with regards to our heating and lighting costs.
I must congratulate everyone for their understanding and patience throughout the year.

We are currently on track with all our measures to be in a better position than was anticipated this time last year. We will not know the full story until the end of this financial year when we receive our end of year Account.

All the social functions that we have held have helped with our income and have been most enjoyable from Tony`s race nights, Roger's Music nights, the Ukuleleans' night, Robbie’s Bingo to last Saturdays Special Quiz night organised and run by Gerald and Val.

To all our new members that joined us over the past few months welcome, and I do hope you are enjoying your Bowls. Please keep your eyes on the notice boards for social events which help keep the club viable and help our President with his charity this year the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance

I do hope to see as many of you as possible at our Christmas Fun Day on the 16th December. Christmas jumpers are the order of the day, not forgetting Geoff Webber will be drawing this year`s final 200 club, the top prize being £1000. And I do hope everyone has signed up for the 200 club for 2024. We also have our Christmas draw; Numbers can be purchased from the Bar and Joyce.

Thank you to everyone for all your support throughout the year and a Very Merry Xmas and a Happy New year to you all and your families.

Barry J Hubbard

Chairman

CHAIRMANS MESSAGE AUGUST 2023 

Following on from my last newsletter you will all have seen that the new lights have been installed in the Bowls Hall. Together with some more improvements on electricity in other parts of the building we are showing savings. We however hope to achieve even more by strict control of the electricity usage.

As mentioned in my last Newsletter three new boilers are due to be installed this month (we may have some disruption during the installation) and we apologise for this.

For everyone’s information Alexander Wilson will be standing down as Men`s Outdoor Secretary for next season. With Alexander leaving the role of Men’s Outdoor Secretary we do need a replacement so anyone who would like to take on this extremely rewarding job please come forward at the next outdoor men’s meeting

Another thankyou must go to Mike Lofthouse and Graham Crockett. Mike has stood down from the Coaching co-ordinator’s role in which he has done an excellent job over the past few years. Graham has been extremely helpful in all the work he has carried out on the fitting of electrical equipment which has been beneficial to the club with reducing our electricity usage.

You may or may not be aware that the retirement apartments in Dorchester Somerleigh Court are a particularly good sponsor to Dorchester Bowls club. They will be holding a presentation on Thursday   August 10th at 10am in the Alexander room with complementary tea/coffee and cake. The presentation should only last an hour and you may find it highly informative. There is a poster on the notice board with a sheet to put your name on if interested in attending.

Barry J Hubbard

Chairman

CHAIRMANS MESSAGE MAY 2023

As I sent out a couple of newsletters during the winter months, I felt it only right that I should update everyone as best I can with our latest information.

We have had our first 4 months of gas and electricity charges and there has been some savings due to the very strict control everyone has adopted in switching off lights when not required. The action we have taken in the cellar in cutting down our cooling systems has also made a saving.

We are now planning to replace our lighting system in the bowls hall (some inconvenience I am sorry to say). This upgrade will make a saving for the future with a payback in just under a year.

Again, the problems we had with the heating over the winter has led us to replace the three boilers we currently have (they are 20 years old) this is planned for July.

On a much more positive subject Martin Puckett, as I am sure most of are you are aware, represented England at the recent World Championships in Australia and won two Bronze Medals one in the mixed pairs partnered with Kirsty Hembrow (Ilminster BC) and one in the singles. We will be holding a celebration evening in July please keep an eye on the notice boards.
Hopefully you will continue enjoying your bowls indoors and outdoors.

Barry J Hubbard
Chairman

CHAIRMANS MESSAGE JULY 2022

Dear Members

We need your help, continued support, and co-operation in order to ensure the long-term sustainability of our Club.

The Club like so many businesses, Sports Clubs and Community Centres are beginning to understand the financial implications of the past two years- Covid and the war in Ukraine- as indeed are all households.

Although the Club’s energy costs are “capped” until the end of the year, all costs are going up at an alarming rate as you all know from your own household costs. The Club’s energy costs will rise dramatically in the new year.

The Executive Committee are seeking ways to minimize the impact on your club and would ask for your help and co-operation - for example turning off lights when not in use ; not using a rink on 4-6 when there is one free on 1-3 (or vice versa).

Your help in supporting the club in an endeavour to increase membership- we do have excellently organised and run open days- for which volunteer leaflet droppers are really wonderful - concentrating on specific areas of the locality. And we will be holding our next one on September 17th.

Also enquire about “Taster Vouchers” to bring a neighbour or friend for a “taste of our wonderful sport.

I would like to thank everybody for their support and understanding to keep our great club alive for the foreseeable future.

Barry Hubbard (Chairman) July 2022